- Racism, sexism, anti-semitism or any other kind of prejudice or bigotry directed against a person or group of people will not be tolerated, and all such comments will be removed immediately. As this is my blog, it is entirely my decision what qualifies as prejudiced or intolerant comments.
- Comments regarding other religions or spiritual traditions not practiced by the commentator should be either (a) referenced to original sources (e.g. "Farid Esack talks about the difficulties of balancing religious and secular concerns in modern politics in his book, On Being a Muslim..."); or (b) couched in terms of personal experience or prespective (e.g. "I have heard..." "I think..." "I believe..." "In my opinion..." "It seems to me..." "I have experienced..." etc.)
- Comments regarding one's own religious or spiritual practices and beliefs are welcome and encouraged, but should be expressed as personal views of truth or belief, rather than as statements of fact about reality (e.g. "I try to focus my spiritual practice on transcending 'systems' and seeking direct union with the Divine...", rather than, "Religion is about seeking direct union with the Divine, and x, y, and z religions are false because they don't do this.")
- Readers are asked to show the same respect to other commentators as to the writer of this blog.
- Anonymous posts are discouraged, but for the most part acceptable. If you don't happen to have a Blogger account, please feel free to sign your name/screenname (and website address, if you like) at the end of your comment.
- Parody, satire and humor are appreciated, as long as they are clearly facetious and supporting a general attitude of light-heartedness, tolerance and fellowship with the human community (all of it, not just the groups of people who agree with you) (e.g. mocking intolerance for the sake of supporting tolerance--okay; mocking a particular religion for the sake of demeaning its practitioners or converting them to your own--not okay).
- If at any time you discover that a comment of yours has been deleted for what you think are unfair or misunderstood reasons, please feel free to post a follow-up explanation or clarification of your original thoughts. I will do my best to consider such comments fairly and leave them uncensored, even if I do not agree with them--as long as they do not exacerbate the prejudices of the original comment.
In order to avoid removal, please consider the following guidelines:
Thank you for your understanding, and please do feel free to read and comment. Discussion and debate are encouraged, as long as comments remain respectful and tolerant of others.